Take part in an extraordinary event this weekend at the National Automobile Museum. Challenger Learning Center of northern Nevada is hosting its Sci-On! Film Festival. It's also the grand opening of its exhibit!
The festival opens with a screening of the dome show “Seeing,” narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and introduced by Dr. Melodi Rodrigue, UNR astrophysicist. Additionally, there will be virtual reality demos from "Apollo 11," "The Martian," "Star Trek" and festival finalists from VR media makers around the world.
"Seeing" features stunning 360° visuals. Landscapes, skyscapes, wildlife, humanity and space are used to tell the story of light, sight and vision.
We begin with a photon’s creation inside a distant star and follow its immense journey across the galaxy into the eye of a young stargazer. As the photon enters, we learn about the structures of the eye, their functions and we ride along the optic nerve. The photon's energy is converted into electrochemical impulses that travel the neurochemical pathways of our brain, resulting in an image in our mind.
Also addressed are the ways technology enables us to restore vision and prevent various diseases that affect sight.
- Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 4:00 PM - to - Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 7:30 PM (PDT)
- National Automobile Museum (Harrah Collection), located at 10 S Lake Street, Reno, Nevada 89501
- Thurs. 4pm: "Seeing!" Digital Dome Show (narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson) & Hands-On VR Demos (Nat'l Automobile Museum/NAM)
- Thurs. 7pm: Shorts Program 4: International Shorts & Specialty Award Winners (NAM)
- Friday 9:30am: Words, Worlds & Wonders: Live Sci-Fi Readings with Scientists and Artists (UNR/Matthewson Knowledge Center/Wells Fargo Auditorium)
- Friday 10:30am: Shorts Program 3: Directors' Award Nominees (UNR, Matthewson Knowledge Center/Wells Fargo Auditorium)
- Friday 7pm: Shorts Program 2: World-Class International Shorts & Critics' Award Nominees (Living Stones Theater, downtown Reno, next to the Nevada Museum of Art, free parking)
- Sat. 9:30am: Grand Opening of "Be the Astronaut"Exhibit (NAM)
- Sat. 10:30am: Live Sci+Fi Panel with Scientists, Filmmakers and Artists (NAM)
- Sat. 12pm: Nevada Space Center Awards Luncheon with Roddenberrys (NAM)
- Sat. pm: TREK NATION with Heidi and Rod Roddenberry (NAM)
- Sat. 7pm: Shorts Program 1: Animated & Live Action Finalists & Audience Choice Awards